Biomass makes a significant contribution to sustainability and the energy transition, but not every renewable raw material is suitable for every process. Contamination, impurities, or high energy consumption in production should be avoided. Therefore there is a need for optimisation both for by-products of the sowing industry and for new types of raw materials, e.g. from agriculture. In production, variation has to be kept to a minimum, whereas one tries to do exactly the opposite in an experiment. In the biomass pilot plant, we conduct research in new raw materials, new technologies and new process modes and show you how you can implement them in your own process.
The biomass pilot plant enables experiments that would be inconceivable during ongoing production.
Our biomass technical centre is centrally controlled and has a modular structure. We manage an output of up to 800 kg/h. This enables us to scale results up to the industrial level. Statistical designs of experients (DoE) are the basis for your application model. We deal with new raw materials, raw material mix optimisation, technology comparison, process- and energy-oriented process and product engineering, orientation to quality standards, development of sensors and control, performance tests, process design and optimisation, economic efficiency calculations, as well as contract and sample production.
Biogenic raw material INput – Engineered product OUTput
We process all biogenic raw materials such as energy wood, sawmill by-products, recycling wood, bark, energy plants, modified raw materials (e.g. torrefied, enzymatic), residues (e.g. from agriculture or food production), other residues (e.g. condensates, factory seconds, ash), recycling materials, solid and liquid biogenic or mineral additives, or conveyable dry goods.
This creates diverse developments in the areas
- Biogenic solid fuels: Energy wood, pellets
- Semi-finished products: Chips, dusts, compressed biomass, dry goods
- Functional biomass: e.g. animal litter, animal feed, insulation materials, construction materials, porosity-enhancing materials, nutrient media
We develop die geometries with the help of a single pellet press; a small ring die press is ideal for initial raw material tests. Large tests are carried out using our large ring die press or alternatively the flat die press.
Using shredders, cutting mill, hammer mill or pan grinder mill, we produce conveyable particles and gain valuable performance data. The particle geometry is captured and optimised in doing so.
The water content is adjusted using a belt dryer. The correct moisture ratio between core and surface is achieved after moistening during conditioning.
Washing, temperature treatment, biological processes but also the separation of fractions are all decisive variables in engineering innovative products.
Currently unused raw materials often accumulate along the forest–wood value chain, in agricultural and food production, and during recycling. We create objective decision-making bases for the use of raw materials and develop the required processes.
We develop the ideal product and deliver the process for more uniform pellets, more efficient insulation materials, more branched chips, more absorbent litter and more digestible feed.
- Belt dryer: Andritz, 45 kW thermal, up to 70 kg/h, belt area 0.4 x 1.6 m
- Shredder: Untha, 4 shafts, 15 kW, 20 and 30 mm screen basket
- Coarse material separator: Teccon, ferromagnetic metals, non-ferrous metals, minerals
- Hammer mill: Tietjen, 30 kW FU, up to 10 m³/h, sieves 3–20 mm
- Pan grinder mill: Amandus Kahl, 30 kW frequency drive, up to 800 kg/h, grind size 6–12 mm
- Total separator Teccon, up to 5 m³/h, up to P16
- Vibrating screen: Allgaier, 2 kW, 0.5–16 mm sieves, wash option
- Conditioning: Knoblinger, moisture measuring points, supply of solid and liquid additives
- Ring die press: CPM, 5 kW, up to 35 kg/h, 6 mm sprues, 23–40 mm length
- Ring die press: Salmatec, 22 kW frequency drive, up to 250 kg/h, 6 mm sprues 25–45 mm length
- Flat die pelleting press: Amandus Kahl, 30 kW frequency drive, up to 400 kg/h, 6 mm sprues, 18–60 mm length
- Various mobile conveyor belts, mobile containers, small mills, pallet scales, electric forklifts, central PCS