Our laboratory for chemical analysis helps with all environmental questions regarding the use of wood and renewable raw materials both indoors and outdoors, as well as in the manufacturing process. We enable the environmentally friendly design of products and processes. We support companies in research, product development, independent testing, and during the approval process. In process management, the focus is often on chemical components in the raw material, the process chemicals, and the sensory detection of these quantities.
Wide range of applications
The most common areas of work in the chemistry laboratory include the analysis and determination of:
- Emissions from wood, wood-based materials, construction products and coatings
- Biocides in wood preservatives, products coated or impregnated with them, wash-offs when used outdoors and waste wood
- Chemical ingredients in waste wood, biogenic solid fuels, substrates, wood and renewable raw materials or soils
- Process chemicals such as bleach, complexing agents or additives
Despite the wide range of the working fields in the chemistry laboratory, the raw materials, semi-finished products, products, and sampling locations are examined, developed, and researched as well. We thus provide our services along the entire value chain of wood and renewable raw materials, including their processing methods, as well as all accompanying materials in construction, furnishings, and outdoor use, right through to the end use.
We determine emissions and active substances with HPLC or GC, with IC elements and low-molecular substances (N, P, S, F, Cl, formate, acetate). In addition to wood samples, we also measure substrates or fertilizers.
We use spectroscopic methods for the detection of formaldehyde, relative comparisons as a difference for heterogeneous products, and for the determining inorganic gases such as ammonia from smoked wood.
We establish the basis for human toxicological assessments. Limit or guideline values (e.g. EU-LCI, WHO) and legal requirements (e.g. chemical ban, formaldehyde regulation) provide the framework for this.
- Standard test chambers: inert, conditioned 0.225 m³ and 1 m³ chambers for formaldehyde and VOC emission analysis
- Gas analysis: Weiss Technik, accelerated formaldehyde emission measurement
- Perforator: Formaldehyde content based on toluene extraction
- Photometer and UV-VIS spectral photometer: Dr. Lange and Analytik Jena including integrating sphere
- Microwave digestion system: CEM MARS 6
- TD-GC/MS/ECD/FID: Markes / Agilent, Gas chromatography with thermal desorption unit, mass spectrometer, electron capture detector, flame ionization detector
- HPLC/DAD/RI: Thermo Fisher Scientific, High performance liquid chromatography with diode array detector, refractive index detector
- IC/UV/CD: Thermo Fisher Scientific, Ion chromatography with UV and conductivity detector
- FTIR-ATR/DRIFT/Gasmesszelle: Perkin Elmer, Fourier transformation infrared spectrometer, attenuated total reflection and diffuse reflection for surfaces, multi-reflection cell for low-molecular gases
- FLEC: CHEMATEC, Field- and Laboratory Emission-Cell for the localization of emissions in the object, apartment, house, or construction site, as well as a miniature emission chamber in test setups