Pellets and briquettes provide cozy warmth and are a clean, standardized fuel with a high level of user comfort. To ensure this regardless of raw material, season, process, or boiler, producers put a lot of effort into it and often meet the strict requirements of monitoring and certification programmes. Our biomass laboratory provides the important measured values in this process and creates the basis for the conformity assessment. This means that end customers only have to worry about emptying the ash drawer.
Accredited fuel testing
We inspect all quality parameters of EN ISO 17225-2 for wood pellets and EN ISO 17225-3 for wood briquettes in our accredited laboratory. Based on these analyses, we create accredited test reports on pellet and briquette quality. In this function, we are also recognized as the test body for ENplus®, DINplus and ÖNORM geprüft. The common fuel tests include:
- CEN/TS 15370-1, Ash melting behaviour
- EN ISO 18134-2, Water content
- EN ISO 18122, Ash content
- EN ISO 18125, Calorific value
- EN ISO 17828, Bulk density
- EN ISO 16948, Carbon, hydrogen and nitrogen
- EN ISO 18846, Fines content of pellets
- EN ISO 18847, Particle density of briquettes
- EN ISO 17831-1, Mechanical strength of pellets
- EN ISO 16994, Sulfur and chlorine
- EN ISO 16968, Heavy metals: Arsenic, cadmium, chromium, copper, lead, mercury, nickel, and zinc
- EN ISO 17829, Dimensions of pellets and briquettes
Quality assessment over and beyond the normative framework
We also offer our customers specialized tests for pellets and briquettes that go beyond the normative framework. Frequent questions concern VOC emissions, the content of volatile substances or ash-forming elements, determination of the starch content or identification of foreign substances in compressed biofuels, e.g. based on the formaldehyde content. Our innovative laboratory combustion test has proven itself in the characterization of fuel and ash properties.
Independent testing for certified pellets
Our accredited fuel laboratory creates the basis for successful certification of wood pellets. We accompany companies in the selection of raw materials and ongoing quality assurance.
Assessment in case of complaints
In the event of deviations from the quality standards defined in the norms of solid biofuels or in the event of complaints, we are available as an independent laboratory.
- Chemistry laboratory
- Biomass pilot plant
- Thermogravimetry: Leco, simultaneous determination of ash content for six samples in three-fold determination
- Calorimeter: IKA C6000, Calorific value determination and bomb digestion for elemental analysis
- Abrasion tester: In-house development, mechanical strength of pellets
- IC/UV/CD: Thermo Fisher Scientific, Ion Chromatography with UV and conductivity detector, sulphur and chlorine content
- ICP-OES: Thermo Fisher Scientific, iCAP PRO XP Duo, inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectrometry, heavy metals, ash-forming elements